Thursday, November 18, 2010

Happiness is a kettle, 2 mugs and a dictionary...

My beloved parents have commented that yesterday’s post made me sound rather depressed … though not nearly depressed as it would have done if I’d written it a few days ago, it has to be said… So to set the record straight, things are not quite all gloom and doom chez Pippa. Relations between the new flat and me have been a little strained it is true, but things are looking up gradually.


For a start, what I didn’t mention yesterday was that along with cleaning I also spent part of my day off on Tuesday shopping for mugs and glasses. And right now I’ve just got back from another foray into the CBD where the ridiculously chic department stores keep international supermarkets hidden away in the attic or basement. These supermarkets, besides stocking such delights as baked beans, also include homeware sections apparently loosely based on upmarket ¥100 shops. You find me thus high on the purchase of an electric kettle to go with the mugs I bought on Tuesday! I’ve also invested in a jar to keep the sugar out of ant’s harm’s way.


In fact I’ve had a bit of a splurge today. In a sad comment on my life, I’m also quite overcome with excitement at buying a (legit) copy of the Macmillan Advanced Learner’s Dictionary for about £4.00! For those of you not in ELT it would cost at least £20 back home, and possibly a lot more. I also stumbled (excuse the pun) on a branch of the Body Shop and got myself a new foot file – all this mooching about dirty, dusty streets in flip flops is playing havoc with my heels, which weren’t in the best nick to start off with.


And I am slowly getting to know my new neighbourhood. In the mornings when I go round to the little bakery the landlady recommended, with a clear (-er) blue sky, sunshine and bustling streets, it is quite attractive and even endearing. Give me time, I’ll grow to love it. Plus, the journey to work every day, and the sometimes creative routes the drivers take to get me there, is helping me get my bearings around the city better than if I’d stayed burrowed away in Backpackerville.


I should say thank you to Matt, Debs, Julia, Alison and Oye for their comments on the blog too. Sorry I haven't replied to any of you – I’m still coming back down to earth. Anyway, thanks everyone, and honestly, I’m not as depressed as I sounded yesterday. Guesthouse Pip is almost ready for business!

1 comment:

Matt and Debs said...

Sounds like things are starting to get better for you. We probably wont be taking you up on the guest-house just yet, unless we make a very wrong turning! Now all you have to get yourself is a moped, to go with the company crash helmet! If the shop still exists you can photocopy your dictionary and sell it at a profit in backpackerville!!!