Wednesday, November 3, 2010

HCMC - the first ten days

So, after a slighter longer delay than anticipated, here goes - and I apologise if I repeat anything anyone has already read in an email...


Been in HCMC now about ten days, acclimatizing to the weather (hot and humid, interspersed with torrential downpours); the school (awesome - 9 storeys, 64 classrooms, 100+ teachers, 5000+ students - just this school NOT the whole company - and more resources and supplementary materials than most TEFL teachers ever imagined possible in a single location); the hawkers who refuse to take no for an answer no matter how many times you point out you’re already wearing a pair of sunglasses; the traffic (analyse it a little and it’s not quite as insane as it looks) and the dress code for taking xe om (motorbike taxis) to work – short, straight skirts are not a good idea!


The company put us up in a guest house right in central Backpackerland for the first week, which is adequate but not ideal. Its noisy, doesn’t always have hot water or a working internet connection and you run the gamut of the aforementioned hawkers and xe om drivers every time you step out of the front door – even when you’re just crossing the road to get some breakfast from the coffee shop opposite. Most of us have stayed on after the first free week was up merely out of tiredness and unwillingness to move for the sake of moving, preferring to stick it out a bit longer until we can find a permanent place (although the owner, who seems to have taken a shine to me, has just offered me a ‘better’ rate if I stay on next week, which I will…)


I am, however, more or less, actively engaged in the hunt for a place of my own – or rather, so far, I’ve been tagging along with a couple of other new teachers, Steve and Louise, who also happen to be looking for a 2-bedroom apartment at a similar price range, and are rather more proactive about it than I am! Indeed, I spent most of yesterday wandering with a silly grin, giggling to myself after I went with them on their second viewing of their preferred choice. OH. MY. GOD! Brand new, gorgeous, tastefully decorated, flatscreen TV and wifi installed as standard. Put it this way, there was a massive red Ferrari parked out the front of the building. The same apartment in London would be costing them at least triple (?) the $650USD a month they’re paying here. I’ve told the estate agent I don’t want to pay that much, but if he has any one-bedroom places in that block all my wannabe visitors will be consigned to backpacker hell!!


Steve, Louise and I seem to have formed the main flank of the ‘Older/experienced’ guard of this month’s newbie teachers. There are nine of us in all, and we all seem to get on really well (we shall see…) but most of the others are still in their first year of teaching, so we were the ones doing most of the talking during induction. Steve and Louise already have Cambridge examining experience, as well as contacts at the British Council out here, so the three of us are beginning to make enquiries about Cambridge and IELTS examining here – which, apparently would involve travelling as well as getting paid! And examining, obviously, is one form of moonlighting the company don't mind us doing, as it reflects well on them.


Meanwhile, the Delta seems to be bringing me a certain amount of kudos too. The company run it in-house for existing employees but I think it’s quite unusual for someone who already has it to turn up on their doorstep. Maybe it was the jetlag, maybe just my fevered imagination, but were the Academic Managers (DoS’s and ADoS’s) and Academic Co-ordinators (Senior Teachers) coming up to me the first couple of days and saying, ‘Oh, you're Phillipa’ in strangely awed tones? Had word got out around the office to approach with caution?!


But it has provoked a lot of interest (thank god – it is, after all, still too soon after finishing the Delta, for me to have developed a life and the social skills required to talk about anything else). Tagg (yes, that’s her real name), my main AC, is just finishing Module 3, and Sandra, one of the other ACs, is just about to start. Tagg is also about 8 months pregnant. I mention this only as background explanation for her rather sick Halloween costume on Saturday – a blood-stained t-shirt with doll body parts ‘emerging’ from it! I dread to think what the kindergarten kids made of it!


Anyway, I think that’s about all for now. Click the link or the photo on the right here to see the first few photos of HCMC and the Reunification Palace. After a week of increasing hermit-like reclusivity, I finally emerged and managed an hour or so’s touristy stuff yesterday before the heavens opened. Your attention is also directed to my friends’ blogs – particularly ‘On the road with a toad’ in which Matt and Debbie (bless ‘em) recount their adventures as they embark on a pedal-powered pub crawl from Cambridge to Cape Town!

Speak soon xx

3 comments:

Matt and Debs said...

Sounds like you are having an interesting time. $650/month is cheaper than a month of European guest-houses! Cheers for the mention, Stay safe love Matt

Anonymous said...

Vietnam sounds like a cool place, but I'm not sure about the lack of hot water! I'll wait till you've moved to one of those swanky apartments before paying you a visit.

francesca said...

I suppose Vietnam isn't a good place but I'm sure you'll find a lot of amazing things there and I'm ready to change my mind..I'd like to know about food..if it's too awful, don't worry, I can send some pasta!take care about you and write soon..ciao