Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Eureka! A frying pan that works!

I should perhaps explain. In the last few months Little Sis and I have both found ourselves in new apartments with kitchen hobs that refuse to cooperate with the other kitchen utensils. In other words, we have both unwittingly acquired induction hobs.

I didn't discover this until Christmas when Rachel tried to do some bacon in my new frying pan, only to have the hob just sit there, beep at us for a bit and then switch itself off. Since then I've been fretting about investing in any more pots and pans until I know exactly what I need. And not knowing the Vietnamese for 'induction hob' was a bit of a drawback.

Anyway, finally tonight I made a foray into the Japanese supermarket on Le Thanh Ton and found a whole range of frying pans bearing an I H symbol. Could this possibly stand for Induction Heat? The Vietnamese shop assistant giggled an apology. 'Sorry, I don't know. They're Japanese.' 

So with fingers crossed, prayers offered and good luck wishes from the British couple queuing behind me, I bit the bullet and bought one. And hey presto! I've just dined on a properly cooked fried egg made by my own fair hand! Yippee!!

1 comment:

Matt and Debs said...

I suspect that no one has ever gone to so much trouble just for a fried egg. Will you now be going for the full monty English breakfast, or something in the more Vietnamese line of snake curry?