Sunday, December 12, 2010

Mixing Job Applications with Hangovers?

So there I am, pootling along dealing with my Archers-generated homesickness, and resigning myself to the fact that this will almost certainly be my last overseas job, and I may only do the one year, when the Academic Manager calls me into her office on Friday afternoon to 'make sure' I'd seen the new adverts for Academic Co-ordinator (Senior Teacher) and Assistant Academic Manager (ADoS) on the Positions Vacant noticeboard.

Suddenly, I can't think about much else, and don't get much sleep that night. This is what I came to Vietnam for, after all. And I think I have been feeling a bit frustrated lately - with myself as much as anything, for not networking enough, and letting my shyness take over. So (egged on by mum, dad, Baggy and encouraged by Steve and Louise) I'm going to go for it, and apply for the AC position. Of course, there's no guarantee I'll get it. When I told the AM that I was surprised to have it mentioned so soon, she did admit that she likes to get people's names and faces into the promotion system as soon as possible, so that if you don't get it this time, you're a familiar face and (hopefully) choice for next time. 

But sitting in the staffroom this afternoon, thinking about my application, I realized just how much I want this job. Only trouble is, the deadline is Thursday, and tonight is the Staff Christmas Party at the InterContinental Hotel. By all accounts, it can get pretty messy.....

2 comments:

Matt and Debs said...

Good luck on the job application, does the fact that you are already senior give you an advantage.
Try to avoid photocopying any parts of your anatomy the staff party!

pipsqueak1705 said...

Takes a senior to know a senior!! You wanna watch the arthritis on that bike!

Happily the photocopiers weren't invited to the party.